- How apple cider vinegar is made
- How does apple cider vinegar help with weight loss?
- How to use apple cider vinegar for weight loss
- Apple cider vinegar weight loss recipe
- Some precautionary measures
- Taking apple cider vinegar pills to lose weight
- Tips for faster weight loss with apple cider vinegar
- How long for weight loss results
Apple cider vinegar is not just another form of vinegar used to enhance the taste of your food. More than a taste enhancer, people use apple cider vinegar (ACV) for its many preventative and curative benefits. Of the many benefits ACV offers one is help at losing weight in a completely natural way.
How apple cider vinegar is made
Apple cider vinegar is made by the double fermentation of whole apples, and should not be made by filtration, pasteurization or distillation. These additional procedures only end up destroying the vitamins, nutrients and fermentation products important for inducing the many health benefits and weight loss benefits of ACV.
How does apple cider vinegar help with weight loss?
The many fad diets around you may help you lose weight. However in most cases the weight loss is not permanent, and returns after some time. On the contrary, apple cider vinegar weight loss results are gradual. Though gradual weight loss is slow, it’s better than quick weight loss where your body obliges you by temporarily changing some body mechanisms.
This is why any weight lost can and usually slips back in no time, especially once you stop the diet. However in case of gradual weight loss with apple cider vinegar, your fat cells slowly lose weight by adjusting to their new size more willingly without contributing to your waistline.
Rich source of pectin and appetite suppressor
Apples are a good source of pectin, and including pectin to your diet helps make you feel full and satisfied. So drinking apple cider vinegar before meals help you lose weight as it contains the as much pectin as apples and thus efficiently suppresses your appetite.
Now you naturally wonder how and why ACV encourages more weight loss than just eating raw apples. This is because acids generally help digest protein, which is essential for some hormones, especially the growth hormone.
The growth hormone is essential in breaking down fat cells. Increasing the acid in your stomach before meals facilitates thorough digestion while increasing the availability of protein for hormone synthesis.
Consequently, more protein utilization helps in the formation of growth hormone, essential for maintaining your body metabolism while at rest. This is the reason why you have to take ACV before or with your evening meal.
Moreover, ACV stimulates digestion which helps reduce the amount of time fat remains in your digestive tract. Fat that remains longer than necessary in your digestive tract during digestion leads to the increased absorption of fats.
Apple cider vinegar also improves the body’s iron usage. This helps with weight loss as iron carries oxygen to the cells and holds it there. ACV and other acids help use the iron in the food you consume as a building block for oxygen to burn energy in the body. So increasing iron usage and energy consumption in the body makes ACV helpful for losing weight.
Source of potassium
Apples, and consequently apple cider vinegar are a great source of potassium which when consumed on a regular basis gives your body the necessary potassium to balance the sodium in your diet.
Replacing salt with ACV by topping foods like vegetables and protein foods, helps you lose weight as ACV doesn’t increase the amount of water weight in your boy like salt does. It also reduces your temptation for eating more of fatty foods like French fries, high-fat meats or meat substitutes, which is essential for losing weight.
Controls blood sugar levels
It helps prevent those blood sugar spikes and crashes which tempt you to eat snacks in between meals. It’s only if you have stable blood sugar levels do you find it easier sticking to your diet as you eat only when your body needs food. Moreover, drinking ACV significantly lowers the post-meal sugar spike usually associated with a high carb meal.
Prevents fat accumulation
Apple cider vinegar has lots of organic acids and enzymes which stimulates your body metabolism so that you end up burning more fat and calories in your body every day. In fact, a faster body metabolism also helps your body burn calories even when you are resting.
Body detoxification is important for the body as once your body eliminates all the built up toxins, it improves the efficiency of all body processes including digestion and metabolism. ACV helps with body detoxification and in the process, helps your body absorb and use all nutrients from food in the best way possible. It absorbs toxins as it’s high in fiber and in the process, helps improve bowel movements.
Affects insulin secretion
ACV helps those suffering from type 2 diabetes as it regulates the amount of insulin produced in your body. This proves helpful with your weight loss endeavors as insulin has a direct effect on the fat stores in your body.
How to use apple cider vinegar for weight loss
It’s not difficult following an apple cider vinegar diet as you just have to use ACV in some salads and drinks to start losing weight. However it’s taste is rather acidic, which is why you need to dilute it well before drinking to protect your teeth, throat and stomach lining. Do not drink ACV undiluted at all. If you don’t like the strong taste of ACV, you can always gradually include it to your diet.
The best way to start is by adding a teaspoon of it to a cup of water and drinking it once a day. You can then slowly increase the serving and frequency of drinking ACV. The ideal apple cider vinegar dosage you can consume is 2 tablespoons to a cup of water, and drinking it a maximum of three times a day. Just make sure that each time you drink a glass of ACV and water at least an hour before a meal.
Drinking it an hour before your meal is the best way to kick start your body metabolism to make you feel full. It’s also suggested to drink ACV on an empty stomach, the first thing in the morning as it gives the same effects as drinking honey and lemon with hot water. As ACV is a detoxifier and antioxidant, this gives a healthy start to the day.
If you find it difficult drinking ACV even after dilution, you can add a bit of honey to the serving or drink it with your tea. However do make sure you wait till the tea cools down and then add two tablespoons of ACV to it and drink. Besides adding honey, you can also add ACV to your meals as it goes well with some soups and makes a refreshing salad dressing.
Whichever way you take your apple cider vinegar, it’s important that you realize that you cannot expect overnight weight loss. The weight loss will be gradual as your body’s fat cells with need some time to adjust to its new size.
Apple cider vinegar weight loss recipe
Here are some interesting recipes you can try with ACV to make it more enjoyable and pleasurable drinking it and lose weight. Some recipes in fact enhance the weight loss effects of ACV.
- Apple cider vinegar with cinnamon powder
All you need to do is mix a tablespoon of ACV with half teaspoon of cinnamon powder with a glass of warm water. Cinnamon not only enhances the taste of the drink with its pleasant and sweet flavor, it also helps lower blood sugar levels and the risk of heart attack.
- Apple cider vinegar with maple syrup
Mix one tablespoon each of ACV and maple syrup with a glass of warm water. Not only does maple syrup mask the flavors of ACV, it is also rich in antioxidants which help flight inflammation and does not affect blood sugar levels as much as other sugars.
- Apple cider vinegar in salads
Mix 3 tablespoons of ACV with your favorite salad ingredients to spice up any dull salad. Instead of using plain ACV, you can also make vinaigrette mixing a little honey and garlic or just some paprika for spice.
- Apple cider vinegar and honey tea
Instead of drinking your usual tea, why not try drinking it with ACV? You have to mix a tablespoon each of honey and ACV with a glass of warm water and bring to a boil with a tablespoon of tea leaves.
This is a healthy apple cider vinegar weight loss drink as you enjoy the antioxidants and health benefits of ACV, tea and honey. The effects are doubled if you use green tea instead of regular tea.
Some precautionary measures
It is true that apple cider vinegar has various health benefits and helps with weight loss. As it’s a natural product, many people also assume that there are no side effects associated with ACV.
However like anything else in life, too much of anything is bad for health, including ACV. So here are some tips which should help you get the most out of ACV without any complications.
- Always look for, and use organic and natural apple cider vinegar instead of the processed varieties.
- Too much of apple cider vinegar can lead to hypokalemia. This is a condition where your potassium levels drop, to lead to osteoporosis. As this reduces bone density and is bad for your bone health, do not consume ACV if you suffer from osteoporosis.
- If you start taking ACV pills or capsules, start only after checking its composition as some pills are altered and contain only minute amounts of ACV, and will not be of much use to you.
- Always consume apple cider vinegar with water and not in its concentrated form as ACV’s acidic content is high, and can end up damaging your teeth enamel.
- Do consult your doctor before starting ACV, as you would before starting any new diet regimen. This is especially important if you are being treated for health conditions like diabetes, water retention or heart disease. You need to consult your doctor to ensure ACV doesn’t affect any of your medications.
- As the recommended dosage of apple cider vinegar varies from one person to another, you need to consult your doctor or dietician to find out what dosage works best for you.
- Drinking ACV raw or undiluted not only damages teeth enamel, but also upsets your stomach and can trigger heartburn, nausea or indigestion. Even consuming it in the pill form can lead to additional symptoms of vomiting and sore throat.
Taking apple cider vinegar pills to lose weight
You have to consult your doctor before ingesting pills or supplements, including ACV pills as they will be able to advise if you should take it or not. It’s usually people who cannot tolerate the taste of apple cider vinegar who take it’s pills so that they can reap the benefits of ACV without having to tolerate its pungent taste.
However as there is a chance of the pills being deceptive about the amount of vinegar they contain, it’s better to check its combination before starting the pills. Pills which don’t contain much of ACV will not help you much in your weight loss efforts, and will be a waste.
Tips for faster weight loss with apple cider vinegar
- You can quicken your weight loss efforts by increasing the amount of natural potassium in your diet. While ACV is high in potassium, eating more of fruits and vegetables containing potassium helps induce faster weight loss. Examples are bananas, spinach, avocados and potatoes.
- You need to avoid sugars at all costs as sugar only adds empty calories to your diet, and has no nutritional value. Instead, use honey to dishes and drinks which need sweetening.
- Eat less of refined foods. Instead, include more fruits, vegetables and whole grain foods to your diet as they contain much less calories, salt and fat than refined foods. Moreover, they are a better food choice as they contain more nutritious vitamins, minerals and fibre your body requires for optimal functioning.
- Drink more of water as your body is 70% water, and water is the main transportation medium for both nutrition and cleansing purposes. It is typically ideal to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, and this does not include alcohol, tea, coffee or sodas. Drinking more water helps you lose weight as it not only keeps you full, but also ensures your ACV reaches all parts of your body.
- Regular exercise is a must for any weight loss program, including your weight loss program with apple cider vinegar. You needn’t head to the gym and pay exorbitant fees to use it; all you need to do is take a brisk walk of about 20 minutes for at least three times a week. Do start your exercise program slowly and gradually work yourself to a point where you can easily walk a distance of about 3 miles in just 45 minutes.
How long for weight loss results
Research and some apple cider vinegar weight loss reviews show that on a general rule, a woman of average height weighing about 210 pounds will be able to reduce as much as 30 pounds of her weight if she regularly takes 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with water at each meal, for 2 years.
This means it’s projected that you can lose about 15 pounds of your weight a year just by avoiding fatty foods and no other major dietary changes. Research has also proven that apple cider vinegar is especially beneficial to those with diabetes as taking 2 tbsp. of ACV before meals everyday can lead to an average weight loss of 2 – 4 pounds over four weeks.
The main point here is that apple cider vinegar weight loss results are positive, but it takes time, and nothing can be achieved overnight. You need to be regular at taking ACV and if you do some regular exercises, the weight loss effects are more pronounced and faster.
Remember, there are various factors which determine how fast you lose weight while taking apple cider vinegar like the amount of exercise you do, your diet and nutrition, stress and even genetics. For optimal results, you need to combine the following weight loss tips with regular consumption of apple cider vinegar for efficient weight loss.