- Drink water to lose water weight
- Water increases body metabolism
- Water helps subdue your hunger pangs
- Drink water for more energy
- Drink water to prevent weight gain
- How much water should I drink to lose weight
- Calculating how much of water you need in a day
- Other steps to how to lose water weight fast
- Your posture and acupressure has an effect too
- Sleep and eat right
- How to lose water weight overnight
- Flavour your water if you find water boring
- Drinking water doesn’t give miracles
One of the best ways to look slimmer and lose weight in a short span of time is by losing your body water weight. This is because about 60% of the weight in your body is attributed to water which makes you look puffy.
Water weight is actually water retained in the body or where tissue in between cells clings onto extra water. Shedding water weight is not so difficult. In fact, if you wonder how much water weight can you lose in a day, well, you will be surprised to learn you can lose as much as 3 pounds overnight if you follow a strict diet for the day.
However while you can quickly lose water weight, you also quickly regain it. This is why though you can lose water weight so quickly overnight or in a day, you need to follow a healthy lifestyle to manage it well. So here are some tips to help you lose water weight.
Drink water to lose water weight
The first and most astonishing but important tip for losing water weight is to drink more water! This may be hard to believe as you are working at removing your body water weight, and the last thing you think you should do is drink more water! But it’s true, water plays an important part in removing water weight and in helping you lose weight.
Now if you wonder, how does drinking water help you lose weight, read on. Water helps power your workouts as it keeps your body hydrated which is important as a dehydrated body affects the results of your workout.
However the problem is that most people don’t feel thirsty till they lose about two percent of their bodyweight in water, which is about the same point where your exercise performance drops. This is why it’s recommended that active women drink about 91 ounces or 2.7 lts. of water per day, where 16 ounces has to be drunk before working out and 8 ounces every half an hour of the workout.
The best way to find out if you are drinking sufficient water for working out is by weighing yourself before and after your workout, after peeing. If you find your pre-workout weight is two or more percent more than your post-workout weight, it means you are not drinking enough water.
Water increases body metabolism
Water also helps with weight loss by increasing your body metabolism as each time you drink or eat something, your body works to process whatever you ingest. Research has proven that you can increase your daily caloric burn by about 200 calories just by increasing your water intake by 1.5 lts. or just by drinking an additional six 8-ounce glasses of water per day!
Drinking water also increases the number of calories you burn or your resting energy expenditure by as much as 24-30% within 10 minutes of drinking water. A study performed on overweight women proved that increasing water intake by over 1lt. per day over a 12-month period led to an extra 2kg of weight loss, without any lifestyle changes which is rather impressive!
Other studies found that overweight people who drank 1-1.5lt of water every day for a few weeks experienced a significant reduction in their weight, waist circumference, body mass index (BMI) and body fat. The effects are more pronounced upon drinking cold water as your body uses more calories warming the water to body temperature.
Water helps subdue your hunger pangs
Many people don’t drink water as they feel full. However more than its filling abilities, its water’s ability at controlling your hunger level which is more helpful for losing weight. This is because most of the time you think that you are hungry you are actually just thirsty.
An empty, gurgling stomach, low energy levels and light-headedness not only indicate you are hungry, but can also mean you are thirsty and need to drink water. It’s only when you drink water that you realize how hungry you actually are.
Studies have proven that obese adults who drank 16 ounces of water half an hour before meals ate fewer calories, and lost 2.6 pounds more than those who assumed they were full before having meals.
Drink water for more energy
If you think you are low in energy, and need a sugar fix, try drinking water as many a time, your ‘fatigue’ is just a sign of dehydration. Water boosts your energy levels by feeding your muscles with oxygen and nutrients while your brain remains focused on losing weight.
Another reason and way water helps you lose weight is by satisfying your thirst, which is much better and fewer in calories than drinking other beverages like soda and whipped coffee.
Studies prove that drinking 3.4 ounces of water leads to your drinking 0.7 ounce less caloric beverages. Moreover, as water has no calories, people who drink lots of water have about 9% or 200 lower calorie intake than those who drink more of sodas and other beverages.
Drink water to prevent weight gain
Another reason on how to lose weight with water is by drinking as much water as possible as your body needs every molecule of water it gets to keep your vital functions working. This means that if you reduce your water intake, you end up with your organs discharging its excess reserves which in turn lead to constant health problems. This shows drinking water is so important not only for weight loss but for better health too!
Water not only helps with weight loss, but also prevents weight gain. You can in fact reduce your potential weight gain just by drinking one more glass of water every day! Even just replacing other sugar-sweetened beverages with a cup of water can help reduce your potential weight gain by 0.5kg or 1.1lb.
If you had never believed that water can help with weight loss ,just try substituting your sugary drinks with water for a few weeks. If you want to drink something sweet, drink a glass of water with lemon which helps with weight loss as its pectin reduces food cravings. Try these out and you will definitely agree that drinking water does help you lose weight!
How much water should I drink to lose weight
So now comes the question how much water to drink to lose weight? Well, while many health authorities suggest drinking eight 8-oz glasses of water or about 2 lt. per day, it’s a random number as each person’s body has their own water requirements.
For example, people who exercise regularly or sweat a lot need more water than those who are not so active. Even older people and breast-feeding mothers have to keep a close tab on their water intake.
Other factors which determine the amount of water you should drink are your age, gender, the weather or temperature, how active you are, the food you eat, any medications you take and any medical conditions you suffer from.
Moreover, you also get water from other foods and beverages like coffee, tea, milk, meat, and fish and especially from various fruits and vegetables. Consequently, it’s not advised to drink TOO much of water too, like in water drinking contests as it can lead to water toxicity and in extreme cases, possible death too.
Calculating how much of water you need in a day
Generally, the rule of thumb is to drink water when you are thirsty and to drink enough water to quench your thirst. Even if you have a headache, are always hungry, find it difficult concentrating and are always in a bad mood, then you may find some relief drinking water.
To find out how much water to drink a day to lose weight, on an average, you need to drink about 4 cups of water for each 50 pounds of your body weight. This means a person weighing 200 pounds needs 16 cups of water per day.
A better method of calculating how much water should you drink to lose weight is by first converting your weight into pounds. (1 kg= 2.2lbs.). Then multiply this number by 2/3 which means if you weigh 210 pounds, multiply it with 2/3. This gives you 140 which means you need 140 ounces of water a day.
The general rule is that the higher your weight is, the more water you need to drink. Then in addition to this, if you exercise for about 30 minutes every day, you need to drink an additional 12 ounces of water per day.
If you are drinking lots of after to lose weight, and want to know if you are drinking enough water, the best way to find out is checking the toilet after going to the bathroom. Clear urine or urine which is very light yellow in colour indicates you are well-hydrated. The darker is your urine, the more water you need to drink, especially if you want to lose weight by drinking water.
While are on the topic of how much water a day to lose weight, you should make it a point to not drink too much water as it can cause an imbalance in the body’s salt content. It also disturbs potassium levels and together this leads to nausea, headache, vomiting and fatigue.
You also need to develop a habit of drinking water even when you are not thirsty as your feeling thirsty indicates your organ systems are already a bit dehydrated, and which is why they have sent a signal to the brain.
To avoid this, and to quickly lose water weight and overall weight, make it a point to drink water through the day. If you forget to drink water, use the help of one of the many mobile apps to remind you to drink your glass of water every hour. While you need extra water while working out, don’t gulp water immediately after working out. Just take a sip and let it wet your mouth.
Other steps to how to lose water weight fast
Now that you know how does water help you lose weight, read on to find out other steps to take for how to lose water weight. Next on the list is to do cardiac exercises as any exercise which increases your heartbeat and warms your body helps quickly reduce water weight.
In fact, you can even lose water weight overnight by doing cardiac exercises. This is why it’s better to do cardiac exercises early in the morning and before sleeping to help with the water weight reduction process.
Wearing thermal wear while exercising also helps as you start sweating faster and need not exercise for that long. If there’s a beach nearby, try walking on its beach sand for 50 minutes daily to quickly lose water weight from your body.
Your posture and acupressure has an effect too
Keep a watch on your standing and sitting posture. It’s important that you stand straight and keep your spine straight all the time as it helps streamline the flow of water in your body to all the body parts. Even doing squats and sit-ups when you are free helps reduce your body water weight while toning up your muscles.
Acupressure also helps reduce water weight as there are totally four acupressure points in the body. They are under the knee bone’s large bulge, the back inner border of the shinbone, inside the anklebone and about two fingers under your belly button. You just have to apply some pressure to these areas to not only reduce water weight, but also to regulate the water flow to your body organs.
Sleep and eat right
Did you know that sleeping an extra 30 minutes a day also helps reduce water weight? The extra sleep gives your body more energy to exercise and stay active throughout the day to help lose water weight.
- Eating more herbs like ginger, garlic, parsley and fennel help remove water from the body without causing dehydration, as they are all full of antioxidants. Caffeinated drinks not only increase the amount of water you drink, but also retain water in your body for longer periods. This is why you look bloated if you sleep after drinking caffeinated drinks.
- Parsley tea is also a good substitute for the caffeine you avoid as parsley tea keeps you refreshed through the day. Drink the tea thrice a day for an active system and to prevent dehydration.
- Also try substituting milk with a refreshing herbal tea as milk slows down water weight loss. Herbal tea like chamomile, herbal grass tea, green tea and lemon tea all not only reduce water weight but are also helpful at detoxifying the body.
- You can lose water weight quickly by drinking cabbage juice. Though it’s not tasty, adding a bit of it to yogurt and drinking it in the morning with some pepper helps reduce water weight even faster.
- Cabbage has minerals and properties which prevent your body from gaining water weight while reducing bloating and maintaining the speed of water absorption. Even eating tomatoes everyday help lose water weight as they are rich sources of calcium, vitamin C and iron.
- A drink of half a cup of lemon juice, 3 cups cucumber juice and 2 teaspoons of mint juice helps with not only water weight loss but also maintains the body’s pH levels and strengthens the body’s digestive system. Eating watermelon or drinking its juice proves helpful at quickly removing water weight.
- Increasing your everyday fibre intake also helps as it quickly absorbs water weight to help you lose weight faster. Consequently, you need to reduce your consumption of carbohydrates as carbs quickly increase your water weight. White pasta and bread and rice all require more water in your body and as they get quickly digested, make you feel quickly hungry wherein you end up eating more at the next meal.
- Reducing your consumption of processed, canned and salty foods helps by reducing water retention as the more salt you consume, the longer water is retained in your body.
- Not only your salt, you also have to keep a watch on your sugar consumption as sweet foods tend to increase fat storage. As its extra calories also lead to cellulite, eliminate sweet sodas from your diet.
Men should restrict their sugar intake to 9 teaspoons a day, and women to 6 teaspoons of sugar a day. Instead of eating more of sugar, include more of proteins and fibre to your diet as they help build muscles which increases your metabolism to help burn and lose weight.
How to lose water weight overnight
Now if you want to lose water weight quickly, perhaps overnight, then it’s better to prevent it in the first place altogether, or at least by making these lifestyle changes.
- Exercise 2-3 hours before going to bed as it helps sweat out excess water and sodium in the body. However do taste your sweat as if you find it’s salty, it means you are losing lots of sodium.
- As mentioned earlier, limit your sodium consumption to 1500 mg per day as a sodium rich diet makes your body retain water and induce bloating.
- Drinking water through the day flushes out toxins and excess sodium from the body and helps hydrate the body. This is important if you want to lose water weight quickly as a dehydrated body retains water and tends to bloat.
- Try taking a water pill before sleeping as it puts sodium into your urine to help you flush out sodium and in the process, prevent water weight.
- If you still want to know how to lose water weight in a day, try drinking more of natural diuretic foods and drinks. Examples are green tea, apple cider vinegar, cranberry juice, cilantro, lemon, melons, fennel, black currant and garlic which you need to add to your diet to help you quickly lose your water weight.
Flavour your water if you find water boring
If drinking plain water is boring, and this makes you horrified thinking how much water to lose weight, you can always flavour your water so that it tastes better to make you drink more of water.
Add some herbs like mint, veggies and fruits like lemon for some natural flavour to your water. Make a pitcher of this flavoured water by adding slices of cucumber, mint, strawberries, lime and oranges to a pitcher full of water and ice and drink the water throughout the day. Adding a drop of 100% cranberry juice or a spritz of lemon adds more flavour to the water.
Drinking water doesn’t give miracles
Now you know the answer to how to lose weight by drinking water, you need to know you need to do a lot more than just drink water if you want to lose a significant amount of water. Moreover, don’t expect overnight miracles.
You need to give your body at least a fortnight’s time to get rid of most of the water weight from your body. If you wonder how much water weight can you lose, you need to know that losing more than 3% of water weight at a time is dangerous for your health. So don’t work out excessively or reduce more than 3% of your body weight in a day. Water weight loss should preferably be gradual for minimal problems!
Avoiding water completely to lose water weight fast is something many people do, and is a complete folly. Not drinking water for better water weight loss is a complete myth that leads to eventual dehydration and urinal infection. This is why you need to drink sufficient water for your body every day.
Of course, drinking water does help you lose weight; but it’s just part of the weight loss puzzle. You need to make lifestyle changes and exercise and drink as much water as your body requires and you will slowly but surely lose weight!