- Compare Low Carb Meal Replacement Shakes
- What are low carb meal replacement shakes?
- Benefits of meal replacement protein shakes
- What should healthy meal replacement shakes contain?
- Mistakes to avoid while taking meal replacement shakes
The secret to effective dieting and weight loss is fitting the right foods into your diet which helps boost your body metabolism, lose weight and burn fat. Smoothies and shakes are a formidable option as you have lots of varieties to choose from, with independent benefits.
Of the lot, low carb high protein shakes with minerals and vitamins make the perfect shake to replace a meal. It contains practically everything you can expect in a meal like carbs, proteins, vitamins and minerals and thus make a healthy replacement drink.
This is unlike other shakes like no carb protein shakes which contain only protein and no carbs. While you can easily make your own low-carb meal replacement shakes at home, if you are on the go and don’t have time to make one, you can always grab a packaged one instead.
Compare Low Carb Meal Replacement Shakes
The Fitmiss Delight Nutritional Shake is a complete protein and nutrition shake designed especially for women. It is high in protein and low in calorie content and can be used as a meal or as a healthy snack. One shake provides you with the day’s essential nutrients along with protein, vitamins, minerals and digestive enzymes in appropriate levels.
The Fitmiss Delight is a worthy meal replacement shake as it satisfies your hunger for hours when ingested. As it is made from a unique blend of fruits and vegetables, it is gluten free and low in carbohydrates.
It contains low calorie protein powder in the form of whey isolate protein which is easily digested and absorbed, and also contains Solathin; a supplement formulation of potato protein extracts which helps you feel full faster. This is why FitMiss is very effective at helping you both build and maintain your body’s lean muscle mass.
All you need to do is drink FitMiss Delight everyday to lose weight while feeling satisfied and not hungry for more food. However like any over the counter medication, this is meant only for healthy adults over 18 years of age, and should be started only after consultations with your physician.
- Perfect as a mid day snack and as meal replacement shake
- Is helpful at building and maintaining your body’s lean muscle mass
- Contains the potato protein extract Solathin which makes you feel full faster
- Satisfies your hunger for hours
- Contains the day’s proteins, vitamins, minerals and nutrients
- Gluten free and low in carbohydrates
- Not to be used when pregnant, expecting to become pregnant or while nursing
- Not meant for children
- Not that tasty
- Gives disgusting protein burps
- Some received half filled bottles
- Contains sucralose which can trigger migraine headaches
Looking for a zero carb protein powder? The Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder may be just what you need to build your muscles! This is a 100% whey protein isolate powder which helps build you up without any unnecessary weight gain.
There’s also the low-carb version with zero sugar- you have to choose your level. Whichever you choose, both contain 50 grams of protein that is full of vitamins, minerals and nutrients which keeps you going strong.
Isopure protein powder is free from lactose and gluten or any other impurities. As Isopure is produced under a complete microfiltration process, it’s the milk protein is micro filtered and instantized for easily mixing and dissolving in water. Isopure is available in various flavors which can be used for creating delicious recipes which help with weight loss.
Isopure protein powder is perfect for people looking for the best zero carb protein powder with the highest absorption rates. It has little or no fat, impurities or carbs and contains only 210 calories. Isopure is proud to say that they offer high quality protein that has taste.
- Tasty source of protein
- Contains 50 grams of protein from 100% whey protein isolate
- Both lactose and gluten free
- Easily mixed as its micro filtered and instantized
- Contains 0 carbs and 210 calories
- Attractive packaging
- Comes with a scoop
- Some complain it’s harder to mix than other unflavored whey protein isolate products
- Has a strong whey flavor and smell
- Some complain of receiving fake bottles with different ingredients and labels than advertised
- Dutch chocolate flavor is not as tasty to drink as strawberries and cream flavor
- Can taste the sodium and salty taste
If you find it difficult losing weight as you can’t control your hunger, the IdealShake Meal replacement Shake is a solution to your woes. This is finally a shake you can enjoy without worrying about gaining weight or feeling hungry.
This is a meal replacement shake with an all-natural hunger-blocker which helps you control your calorie intake and thus lose weight. It’s sweet and creamy taste will satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth and your hunger pangs for hours.
A bottle of IdealShake offers 30 servings with the right balance of protein; carbs and fat to help you quickly lose weight. As it’s an all-whey protein, it effectively supports the development of lean muscle while increasing fat burn.
IdealShake is gluten-free and contains 22 vitamins and minerals which support your health while helping you quickly lose weight. It’s also so easy to use as you can make a delicious shake in minutes. Just replace one or two meals a day to safely and effectively lose weight.
- Contains a natural hunger-blocker to control hunger pangs
- Delicious in taste making it easier to stick to your diet
- Contains all-whey protein for lean muscle development
- Gluten free with 2 grams or less of sugar
- Contains only 100-110 calories so enjoy your ‘desert’ weight loss smoothie everyday
- Easy to make in seconds for safe and effective weight loss
- Affordably priced
- Very bad and artificial aftertaste
- Some people end up with an upset stomach
- Some complain it’s too sweet
Finding it difficult to get your daily proteins? Why not try Skinny Blend Weight Loss Shake for Women? It’s a scientifically formulated shake of a special blend of 7 proteins which helps reduce your appetite, maximize fat loss and quickly lose weight by boosting your body metabolism.
Each bag of Skinny Blend contains 30 bags sufficient to nourish your muscles and gives you sufficient energy for the day. It has an amazing taste and easily mixes to make a great tasting shake.
Skinny Blend contains 3 grams of healthy fibre which helps you lose weight and keep you satisfied through the day. There’s no worry of gaining weight while drinking this delicious shake once or twice a day as each serving carries only 90 calories and 2 grams of sugar.
Skinny Blend shakes are easy to make; just add a scoop of the powder to 6 ounces of cold water or skimmed milk in a blender. You can add half a cup of ice to get a thicker and creamier shake.
- Great taste
- Only 90 calories per serving
- Mixes easily
- Each bag contains 30 Skinny Blend shakes
- Suppresses appetite, burns fat and not muscle, and boosts metabolism
- Only 2 grams of sugar per serving
- Contains 3 grams healthy fibre
- Perfect protein boost for women
- Not as tasty as propagated and leaves an aftertaste
- Tastes better after adding something to it like banana or peanut butter
- Not a complete meal replacement shake as it contains only protein
- Some complain of bloating after drinking
The Top Notch ’30 in 30’ Protein Shake gives a delicious start to your day with minimal calories. It contains 30 grams of whey protein isolate and 4 other natural ingredients which keeps you full for a longer time and keeps your body burning fat for your body’s energy throughout the day.
This low carb low sugar protein shake is specially designed to work best if it’s drunk within 30 minutes of getting up in the morning or 30 minutes after your workout. It’s ideal for both men and women, and helps you lose weight just by making one change of supplementing your breakfast.
Easy to drink- just mix with 8 ounces of water or milk for a delicious and rich shake; just right for busy people. Top Notch comes as a one month’s supply of a delicious shake which jumpstarts your day. It contains no fat but does have fiber to keep you full for some time after drinking.
- Most effective within 30 minutes of waking up or after a workout
- Contains 30 grams of pure whey protein isolate
- Has no fat but fiber to keep you feeling full for hours
- Jumpstarts your day and helps burn fat while giving your body a metabolism boost
- Easy to make and is perfect for busy people and business travelers
- Tastes like chocolate cake
- Doesn’t make you feel gassy, bloated or make you run to the bathroom
- Easy to mix and convenient to use
- A bit too sweet for some people
- Not as creamy as described
- Artificial sweetness
- Some complain it clumps and doesn’t dissolve well
- Packaging is not user-friendly
What are low carb meal replacement shakes?
As mentioned above, these are shakes which substitute solid meals and contain about 200-400 calories. They have less than 30% fat and most of them are also fortified with more than twenty vitamins and minerals.
Meal replacement shakes are perfect to help you lose weight and manage your diet while following a low carb and high protein diet as they are easy to make, portable and convenient. They are also easy to make as long as you keep the following points in mind.
As most of the shake is its liquid base, low carb diet shakes need a low-carb base. While dairy milk is a moderate source of carbs of about 12 grams per cup, it may be too much if you are on a low-carb diet of perhaps 20 grams carbs per day.
Instead, make your shake creamy without carbs by using unsweetened soy milk as it contains only 4 grams of carbs and about 7 grams protein. You can also use green tea as the base as its calorie and carb free.
Shakes with best low carb protein powder add lots of proteins to your diet without too much carbs. However some protein powders have more carbs than expected, which may not fit into low carb diets. Check the powder’s nutrition label and choose a low carb protein powder with more protein and minimal carbs.
No carbs but only flavour
While a typical smoothie recipe includes a cup or two of fruits, it may be too much if you are on a low-carb diet. In such cases, you could blend a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder to your shake for added chocolate flavour with only a gram of carb. You can also add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter to the shake for 7 grams of proteins and only 6 grams of net carbs.
Freeze in advance
Though you need only a few minutes to make your low-carb shakes, you may too busy and not have sufficient time to make your shake in the morning. If this is the case, you can prepare ahead and freeze your smoothies for the next day.
Of course, you can always opt for commercially available low-carb shakes if you don’t have the time, and don’t want to break your diet. These shakes usually contain only 2 grams of net carbs per serving and about 15 grams of protein.
Benefits of meal replacement protein shakes
There are many benefits to drinking meal replacement shakes while on a diet:
- Treats diseases by fighting its symptoms, especially for treating flu and cold. It’s the high protein and nutrition content in shakes which also quicken the recovery process after injuries by helping with muscle regeneration.
- Obviously helping with weight loss is the greatest benefit. You need to follow a balanced diet to lose weight, and as it’s difficult getting 3-5 quality meals a day because of time restraints. Replacing at least one meal per day with a shake gives your body the required nutrients.
- Meal replacement shakes are available in various flavours like vanilla, strawberry, berry and chocolate which make the shake tasty.
- Different meal replacement shakes serve different purposes, and have different nutritional benefits. If you want to lose weight, look for a low-calorie shake that’s high in proteins and if you are on a low-carb diet, you need a shake with just proteins and not carbs.
- Those on busy schedules may not have time to cook nutritious food. They find meal replacement shakes most helpful at providing a solid meal while satisfying hunger pangs. They also keep you full for hours while improving your body metabolism so that you eventually burn more fat and lose weight.
What should healthy meal replacement shakes contain?
There’s always new answers to this question which keeps cropping up.
The main thing the shake should contain is adequate and sufficient proteins. There are three types of proteins which may be used in meal replacement shakes:
- Whey protein
This is highest in essential and branched amino acids and is fast absorbing. It’s sourced during the cheese-making process of milk and is available in two sub-types- whey concentrate – 29-89% protein by weight, and whey isolate which is 90% and more by weight. They are best consumed after intense workouts and the best proteins for meal replacement.
- Casein protein
This is the main protein in milk which is slow-absorbing as it slowly releases amino acids into the bloodstream for better use by the body. This is a better protein option if you want a protein supplement but not to lose or gain weight. As it’s difficult to dissolve in liquid, it’s however better used for making protein bars than protein shakes.
- Soy protein
This is a plant source of protein, perfect for vegans but a highly allergenic food for humans next to peanuts. It’s more popular with women as it’s a feminine plant with lots of estrogen. While it’s more popularly used for maintaining hormonal balance, it’s the last protein choice for weight loss.
Besides proteins, the shakes should have all the necessary nutrients, vitamins and minerals and should meet the FDA’s recommended daily intake for vitamins and minerals. The supplements to look out for in shakes are:
- While some amino acids are contained in actual proteins, about six essential amino acids are not produced or extracted from protein. So shakes should contain a complete chain of peptide amino acids.
- Meal replacement shakes should contain omega-3 fatty acids as they are great antioxidants and strong brain activity food.
- No meal replacement shake is complete without digestive enzymes. While the body produces lots of enzymes to digest even the most difficult food when young, the enzyme production drops as you grow old. It has to be replenished, which is why meal replacement shakes should contain digestive enzymes.
- Probiotics or ‘friendly bacteria’ are necessary in your shake as most prescription drugs and antibodies taken for treating cold, infections and other diseases are harmful to the flora and friendly bacteria in the digestive tract. Having probiotics in your meal replacement shake will be a great help.
Of course, besides proteins, the shakes should contain carbohydrates, fat content and calories as they are the main foundation of meal replacement shakes.
- Carbohydrates are converted in the body into calories or energy and are divided into good and bad carbohydrates. The bad carbs are those easily converted into glucose like refined sugar and starches, but add weight and triggers health problems like diabetes. Good carbs are whole grains, fruits, beans and whole grains containing minerals, fibre, vitamins and other important nutrients.
- Calories are essential for doing anything. The better meal replacement shakes contain less than 200 calories. As your body gets fewer calories than required to digest food, the body depends on stored energy for other work to thus help you lose weight.
- Fats are also essential for healthy weight loss. They come in various forms where some are necessary and beneficial to the body while others aren’t.
Fats are divided into saturated, unsaturated and Trans fat.
- Saturated fats come from animal products like eggs, dairy and meat and also in some plant sources like palm, palm kernel and coconut oils. While they are solid at room temperature, they directly increase total and LDL or bad cholesterol levels and are better avoided.
- Trans fat or hydrogenated fats are actually unsaturated fats which raise LDL or bad cholesterol while lowering HDL or good cholesterol levels. They help extend the shelf life of processed foods and all practically hydrogenated and hydrogenated oils contain Trans fat. They are however unhealthy and also better avoided.
- Unsaturated fats are derived from vegetables and proteins, and are further divided into polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats.
- The monounsaturated fats are liquids at room temperature but tend to solidify in cold temperature. Examples are olive oil, peanut oil, nuts, avocados and canola oils which are better than other fats as they lower LDL or bad cholesterol levels while maintaining HDL or good cholesterol levels. They also help with digestion and are essential for a healthy diet, and preferably consumed in small amounts at all meals.
- Examples of polyunsaturated fats are safflower, cottonseed, sesame, corn and soybean oils which are also liquid at room temperature. While they do lower LDL levels, too much can lower you HDL cholesterol levels. They are okay for occasional use, but monounsaturated fats are a better option in meal replacement shakes for improved overall health.
Mistakes to avoid while taking meal replacement shakes
Just like you need to know how and when you should take your low-crab meal replacement shakes for the best results, there are also some mistakes you need to avoid making!
Mistake 1: Choosing a poor tasting low carb protein shake
Many people think that they have to drink meal replacement shakes only for a short time and thus don’t place much emphasis on its taste. They think that they will tolerate the taste no matter how good or bad it may be as they will soon be ditching it.
You need to first know that meal replacement shakes are not a short term addition to your everyday routine. It’s an important part of your weight loss journey and is needed to help you change your lifestyle.
So if you can’t stand the taste of the shake, you won’t be able to stick with it long enough to see results, and is thus not worth spending the money on. Instead, look for low sugar protein shakes with a flavour and texture you love. Look for something you end up waiting and looking forward to drinking and it will help you reach your long term weight loss goals.
Mistake 2: Eating more at other meals
Meal replacement shakes are not a solution to avoid eating healthy the rest of the day or give you permission to eat more for other meals. You drink these shakes to reduce your day’s calorie intake by providing your body with required nutrients through a low-calorie meal and by curbing your appetite.
Many people make the big mistake of drinking the low calorie protein shake for breakfast and then eat a lunch or dinner of more than 1000 calories or end up snacking throughout the day. So while you may be happy you are drinking a healthy shake for breakfast, you need to remember to curb your appetite and eat healthy and low-calorie meals through the day to lose weight.
Mistake 3: No hunger-blocker in the shake
You can never lose weight if you cannot control your hunger. So if your shake doesn’t leave you feeling satisfied, it’s very likely that you will start snacking and overeating and negate any good the shake did for you!
When you are hungry, you tend to take bites of all the food around you. Though they may seem small amounts, they do carry calories and add up fast! Moreover there is a higher chance of your overeating when hungry. Even too much of healthy food accumulates to excessive calories to your diet. You also tend to crave sugary and fattening foods when hungry and will want to satisfy your cravings.
As it’s important that you control your hunger to lose weight, you need to choose a low carb meal replacement shake that contains an effective hunger-blocker. So double check labels before buying as most shakes have fibre and protein to fill you up, but no hunger-blocking supplement.
Mistake 4: No plans
You can never reap the benefits of low carb meal replacement shakes if you don’t have a clear-cut plan to go with it. it’s only with a plan will you see results and actually see yourself losing weight as you know when to do things, and what to do. You thus remain consistent while on a plan to keep track and make changes to your lifestyle and weight.
Without a plan you end up trying your hardest to do everything you think is right but you eventually end up not getting anywhere. You may even end up going in the opposite direction and not lose weight without a plan. So look for a shake with simple, straightforward plan to follow with perhaps included recipes which you can use to customize your meal plan as per your tastes and preferences.
Mistake 5: Eating too many calories
If your intention of drinking meal replacement shakes is to lose weight, then you need to drink a shake formulated for that! This is vital as not all shakes are weight loss shakes; there are meal replacement shakes with extra calories meant for people who want to bulk up and gain muscle weight. There are also shakes meant to just replace meals for busy professionals who don’t have time to make a real meal, which won’t help you lose weight as they are not low in calories.
The high-calorie shakes are of no use to you. You need to check the shakes’ label to find out how many calories the shake carries. While you need a shake with more protein and fibre, and some fat, you don’t want it to have too many calories!
You also have to be careful about transforming low carb shakes into high calorie smoothies by adding mix-ins. It’s recommended to drink shakes with about 100 calories so that you can afford to mix add mix-ins like no carb protein powder to customize your low-calorie weight loss smoothie.
Mistake 6: Drinking shakes you cannot afford
When you look for a meal replacement shake, remember it’s not a temporary tool but a tool which will help you lose as much weight as you need. The only way to do this is by choosing shakes you can drink in the long haul and not by choosing shakes you will not be able to afford.
Mistake 7: Not all shakes are meal replacement shakes
Many people think that protein shakes are just like meal replacement shakes, and they are wrong about it. Protein shakes are as the name suggests, full of protein to help you get more protein in your diet without extra carbs and fats so that you grow lean muscle and even help with burning fat. While protein shakes may help you a bit at losing weight, they don’t contain the right balanced nutrients to replace a meal to keep you healthy.
Meal replacement shakes are nutritionally balanced to help you lose weight healthily. These shakes are high in proteins but low in fats and sugar and have your daily dose of vitamins and minerals to help you lose weight without the fear of getting sick.
Now you know the mistakes to avoid while drinking, and how you should choose your high protein low carb shakes, you will obviously want to drink the best low carb meal replacement shakes for best weight loss results. So here are some reviews of top meal replacement shakes to help you get started.