- Top Meal Replacement Drinks
- Tips for Buying Meal Replacement Shakes
- Advantages of Meal Replacement and Weight Loss Shakes
Meal replacement shakes are very popular, where regular meals are replaced with a shake. This is done mainly with the idea of replacing one or two meals in a day to reduce the chances of overeating. This proves especially convenient and helpful to people who don’t have the time or skill to cook.
Though meal replacement drinks for weight loss are nutritious and easy to use, they are not meant to replace all your meals. You need to have sensible, portion controlled meals in between your shakes for healthy weight loss.
If used as directed, these shakes can indeed help you lose weight. As these shakes usually come as powder to make into shakes, you need to know which powder to buy as powders which are high in sugar and calories will not help you lose weight.
Top Meal Replacement Drinks
1. Soylent Ready to Drink Food, 12 Pack of 14 oz. Bottles
Skipping meals does not help you lose weight, especially skipping breakfast. If you are so busy, and have no time to eat anything, it’s time you started thinking about Soylent. This is a nutritionally rich, ready-to-drink meal in a bottle you can conveniently carry and drink while on the move.
Soylent is available as a 12 pack of 14 oz. bottles. Each bottle contains 400 calories, which constitutes 20% of your daily calorie needs. While Soylent shouldn’t replace all meals, it can replace any meal you want.
- Soylent is a 100% vegan meal replacement drink containing 400 calories, or 20% of your daily calorie needs.
- Does not need any refrigeration and can be drunk to replace any meal, anywhere.
- Contains carbohydrates from beet, soy protein and healthy algal oil.
- Soylent is not only satisfying, but is smooth in texture and has a subtle flavor.
- Some say Soylent tastes extremely bland.
- Some complain that they feel hungry shortly after drinking Soylent, which is not good for those hoping to lose weight.
Would you ever believe that one scoop of powder is all you need for improved health? With Vega One All in one Nutritional Shake, it’s possible. It is an all-in-one-meal with real and whole food ingredients giving you 50% of your daily vitamins and minerals, 25% of your daily fiber and loads of omega-3s, antioxidants and probiotics.
A tub of this improved solution gives 20 servings and is safe for anyone with allergies as it is low-glycemic, non-gmo project verified, gluten-free, vegan certified and contains no dairy or soy ingredients.
- Vega One provides you with 50% of your daily vitamins and minerals, 25% of your daily fiber, antioxidants, probiotics and omega-3s.
- Delicious in taste, a 41gms scoop of this French Vanilla powder carries only 160 calories.
- Safe for those with food allergies as it is gluten free, vegan certified, non-gmo project verified, low-glycemic and contains no dairy, soy ingredients, honey or eggs.
- A complete protein source containing 20g of complex proteins from flax, SaviSeed, pea and hemp.
- Vega One is 100% sugar free and contains only real whole leaf stevia.
- French Vanilla Vega One tastes like a sweet vanilla shake.
- Some complain that the new formula has a horrible taste, and doesn’t give the same energy burst as the original formula.
- Some minerals are missing or reduced in its levels in the new formula.
- The lid is rather soft which can pop off anytime, even when fully screwed on.
- Some product combinations cause blood problems which accumulate to trigger symptoms like hives on the chest and upper stomach, weakened kidneys and aching teeth and gums in susceptible people.
3. IdealShake, Chocolate
The shake has a sweet and creamy taste with the right balance of proteins, carbs and fats. IdealShake also contains 22 vitamins and minerals and is proven gluten-free. Easy to make, it can easily and safely replace one or two meals a day for effective weight loss. Each tub gives 30 servings.
- IdealShake is not only delicious, but also controls your hunger to help you lose weight.
- Its all-whey protein formula helps develop muscles for increased fat burn.
- Mix a scoop of the powder with a glass of milk, water, coconut milk or almond milk using its free shaker to make your shake in seconds.
- IdealShake is gluten-free and contains 22 vitamins and minerals for improved health.
- Its fiber and flavor keeps you feeling full and satisfied for up to 3 hours.
- Some people have stomach pain for the first few days.
- The powder contains lead, which can cause problems like cancer and birth defects.
- Some find IdealShake to be too sweet because of its artificial sweeteners.
- Has a gritty texture, like sugar which isn’t fully dissolved.
4. ViSalus VI-Shape Nutritional Shake Mix Sweet Cream Flavor 22oz (1 Bag, 24 meals)
A sweet tooth is what prevents most people from losing weight. So what’s better than a healthy, low-calorie dessert like ViSalus Nutritional shake to satisfy your sweet tooth? It is low in fat, sodium and sugar but tastes like a cake mix.
ViSalus offers a full serving of fiber, is heart-healthy and lactose and gluten-free. It contains 25 vitamins and minerals, making it a perfect combination of great taste and nutrition. It’s great on its own, or can be mixed with your favorite fruits to give a healthy meal costing less than $2!
- A low fat, sugar and sodium shake mix with an amazing cake-mix taste.
- Contains 25 vitamins and minerals, is certified OU Kosher and full of fiber.
- Helps you lose weight, get fit or be more active.
- At only 90 calories per serving, you can add your favorite fruits or peanut butter to create awesome shakes.
- A near dessert, ViSalus helps control after dinner cravings.
- The high soy protein levels in ViSalus can be difficult for the body to process and can lead to problems like hormonal imbalance, skin problems, kidney stones and weight gain.
- Not suggested for long term use as it’s full of preservatives.
- Some people received lighter packets sufficient for only 24 instead of 30 meals.
- ViSalus triggered headaches in some people.
- Some people complain of its chalky taste.
5. Amazing Meal Chocolate, 36.3 Ounce
Amazing Meal is just like its name suggests, amazing! Each serving of this meal replacement powder from Amazing Grass is packed with 11 gm. of plant-based protein, 5 billion probiotics and 4gms of fiber.
All you have to do is mix with 10 or more ounces of water, juice, milk or your favorite smoothie and you feel satisfied for hours! The powder has a rich chocolate flavor, is gluten free, vegan, USDA certified organic, Kosher and non-GMO.
- The tasty and powerful powder is packed with Amazing Grass’s signature grass blend, fiber, digestive enzymes, probiotics and more than 11 plant-based proteins like organic quinoa and pumpkin seeds.
- Easy to make; just mix with water, juice, milk or your favorite smoothie.
- Each tub offers 30 alkaline based servings.
- Clears your mind and energizes you to face the day.
- Some needed a few days to overcome the feeling of starving they got after drinking Amazing Meal.
- Though it may not dissolve perfectly, it’s nothing to worry about as the shake can be gulped down.
- Some got only 22 servings instead of the 30 servings expected from the 36.3 ounce tub.
- Some complain of a foul smell and taste.
Tips for Buying Meal Replacement Shakes
As there are so many brands available in the market, you need to compare various brands to make the right decision. You can’t choose based on taste but based on these tips which help you find the highest quality supplements available:
- Buy a powder which can be easily mixed with water, milk or a juice.
- Make sure they are not high in sugar and saturated fats. However it should contain sufficient calories for your daily calorie intake as too much sugar and too few calories defeats its purpose.
- It should be properly balanced with protein, dietary fiber, carbohydrates and essential minerals and vitamins.
Advantages of Meal Replacement and Weight Loss Shakes
- They are a practical, convenient and healthy meal option when you are busy and on the run.
- Don’t need to worry much about your food intake as its calories are already counted.
- As eating 5-6 small meals is now suggested to lose weight, and as it may not be practical or possible for everyone to cook and eat low-fat meals with proteins and complex carbohydrates for all these meals, shakes or protein shake are a much healthier option than eating junk food or skipping meals!
While weight loss shakes do help with weight loss, it does not help you learn how to eat healthy. As its impractical taking these shakes on a long term basis, once you stop drinking them, you may find it difficult maintaining weight, if you don’t know how to eat healthy. This is why it’s important that you eat healthy and exercise while taking these shakes. So if and when you stop taking them you know how to eat well and thus prevent weight gain.